At Xiaomi’s 10th anniversary event, the company released a special smartphone in face of the Xiaomi Mi 10 Ultra. Among many amazing features, it comes with a 120W wired charging + 50W wireless charging + 10W wireless reverse charging support. In some sense, it embodies the company’s achievements in the charging field. For this, Xiaomi has released a summary of the development of Xiaomi smartphone charging technology in the past 10 years.
Also Read: From Xiaomi Mi 1 1GB + 8GB to Xiaomi Mi 10 Ultra 16GB + 512GB
Xiaomi Smartphones Wired Charging Technology Evolution
- The first-gen Xiaomi Mi phone was released back in 2011. It came with a 5V1A 5W charging.
2. In 2013, when the Xiaomi Mi 3 was out, it adopted the integrated non-removable battery + Quick Charge technology QC 2.0 for the first time. The box came with an optional 10W (5V2A) fast charging head. The latter was shortening the charging time by 30%.
3. In 2015, the Xiaomi Mi 5 came with the QC 3.0. Due to the support of dual-charger parallel charging technology, the charging rate of the Mi 5 was increased by 20%, and the maximum charging rate was 18W. In fact, three generations from the Mi 5 to the Mi 8 all use 18W fast charging.
4. In 2019, the Xiaomi Mi 9 increased the charging power to 27W for wired charging. It also came with a 27W power adapter as standard as well as QC 4+ fast charging protocol. This was the first time when a smartphone adopted the charge pump charging technology of half-voltage direct charging. Also, it has passed the TÜV Rheinland safety fast charging certification.
The Mi 9 Pro released in the same year supports 40W wired charging. It came with a standard 45W power adapter, which can charge a 4000mAh battery in 48 minutes. The power adapter is compatible with the PD protocol. Thus, it is convenient for charging laptops and other devices that support the PD protocol.
5. The Xiaomi Mi 10 Pro released in February 2020 increased the charging power to 50W, which can charge a 4500mAh battery in 45 minutes.
The newly released Mi 10 Ultra uses a 120W wired charging and comes with built-in butterfly double-string batteries that are equivalent to 4500mAh. They can be charged 41% in 5 minutes, and be fully charged in 23 minutes. This also makes it the first mass-produced smartphone that supports 120W charging. The 50W wireless charging supported by it can be used to fill the phone in 40 minutes.
Xiaomi Smartphones Wireless Charging Technology Evolution
- At the beginning of 2018, the Xiaomi Mi MIX 2S was released with a 7.5W wireless charging for the first time. It was the first smartphone in China that supports wireless charging. The Mi MIX 3 released in October of the same year upgraded the wireless charging power to 10W.
2. The Xiaomi Mi 9 released in early 2019 supports the fastest 20W wireless charging at the time and passed the Qi EPP certification of the WPC Wireless Charging Alliance.
The Mi 9 Pro released in the second half of 2019 supports 30W wireless charging, which can charge the 4000mAh Mi 9 Pro in 69 minutes.
3. The Xiaomi Mi 10 series released in early 2020 continued to use 30W wireless charging technology, among which the Mi 10 Pro can charge a 4500mAh battery to 100% in 65 minutes.
The newly released Mi 10 Ultra supports 50W wireless charging, which can charge a 4500mAh large battery to 100% in 40 minutes. In addition to 50W wireless charging, the Mi 10 Ultra also uses a new customized charge pump + a newly designed butterfly dual-cell series structure design. This improves the charging efficiency and charging power.
The fast charging system of Xiaomi’s new flagship will break through again next year. The current wired + wireless + reverse of the laboratory test can reach more than 200W.